Monday, April 1, 2013

Possibly the worst thing that has come from my kitchen, Ever.

Last week, I made brownies! For some reason I was in the mood, and we had all the ingredients already at home. Unfortunately, no one was available to help me document the process, also unfortunately, I do not have the recipe! It was a family recipe that my Aunt has been making for years, and she pretty much just told me everything as I went along. I do have a picture though! (They were great!)


I was super excited to make something from a recipe I knew instead of one from the internet, and it turned out great!

Then things took a turn for the worst.

I decided to make a dessert from South Africa, called the Chocolate Milk Tart.

Ingredients

1 tin condensed milk
750 ml milk
45 ml corn flour
60 ml cocoa powder
5 ml vanilla essence
2 eggs
45 ml butter
1 packet of coconut/tennis biscuits


Method

Reserve 125ml of the milk and add the rest of the milk together with the condensed milk to a medium saucepan and gently heat until hot and steaming - not boiling.
While the milk is heating, combine the reserved milk, corn flour, cocoa, essence and eggs. Add this mixture to the hot milk very slowly, whisking over moderate heat until thickened. This should take no more than 5 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in the butter.
Place a layer of biscuits into a greased tart dish. Spoon the hot custard over the biscuits and dust with cinnamon.
Allow to stand at room temperature to set for about 45 minutes to an hour or chill in the fridge.
Best served at room temperature with good coffee.

Makes 1 milk tart.

Well my first issue was the ingredients were measured in milliliters (and because of how lazy I am) conversions were a pain. The second issue was I COULD NOT FIND CORN FLOUR ANYWHERE OR TENNIS BISCUITS??? So I used Corn starch (which an unreliable wiki answers source told me was a substitute) and Nilla wafers instead of tennis biscuits (also a really bad decision.) 


Everything started off well, I added what was supposed to, and I was on the right track with heating up the milk. 


Not much to explain at this point, I combined them:


Ok, so here is where things got a bit tricky. I was supposed to mix the two together and whisk them until they thickened. It was going to cool for a while where it would set, so it wasn't supposed to be too thick yet, but obviously not the consistency of like water. So it for real was not working and it was like chocolate milk and not good at all. I honestly didn't know what to do here, so I figured I would just move. THIS IS DEFINITELY THE PART WHERE THE CORN FLOUR/CORN STARCH WOULD BEGIN TO SHOW PROBLEMS. 

I laid down my pie/cake/tart crust thing and realized that this is probably why Nilla wafers wasn't going to work, because when I poured the mixture in...


The Pie crust floated to the top omg. The pie crust was literally floating on top of the unset (basically chocolate milk) tart mix thing. 

SO I JUST PUT IT IN THE FRIDGE AND I THOUGHT THERE WAS NOTHING MORE I COULD POSSIBLY DO. 

Yeah so this really didn't go well I'm not gonna lie, I screwed this one up pretty bad. 
After like 5 hours of setting, it was still chocolate-milky. 

But hey enjoy these photos of my cousin and my Dad theatrically eating (slurping?) the tart (it was not a tart at all if you think about it, it was more like melted ice cream. My cousin really enjoyed it though!


Overall, It's a really good thing that my project is not based on improvement, and more of an experience type thing, because by these standards, I got worse?  

1 comment:

  1. Super terrific. Your writing voice is exactly like your real voice.

    ReplyDelete