Thursday, April 4, 2013

TED Talk Reflection

So I guess I'll work my way through the bullet points on the assignment sheet and how I think I did on each one.
  1. Four to five minutes? I hope so! During my many practice runs I usually got anywhere between 4:30 and 5 minutes flat. During my presentation I remember telling myself in my head to slow down, but it was probably much closer to 4:30 than 5. 
  2. Visual Content? I used a keynote and I was pretty proud of it to be honest. All of my pictures (besides what the Tart was supposed to look like) were personal photos. So either I or someone with me took all of them. I wanted to make it more original and more like it came from me. This applies especially with the slide full of cakes made my my Dad. Unfortunately when I tried to plug it in I had some technical difficulties, but thanks to Ms. Campagna, it wasn't a problem at all. (I also kept pointing my remote at the screen behind me and not the computer which was annoying.)
  3. Content? I tried to convey that you should find something that you enjoy doing, even if you aren't that good at it. This didn't specifically relate to baking, but it was how I kept making desserts every week. I don't know how well this really was communicated through my presentation  so that wasn't really how I had planned it. I definitely showed my product, the cheesecakes turned out to be a big hit and I got rid of all of the ones I brought to school throughout the day (people were like ambushing me for them, but I guess that means they really liked them right?) 
  4. Organization? I tried to refer to my dad and his cake decorating/baking/food making hobby periodically throughout the presentation, and I think that went well, although my transitions were lacking for sure. I didn't like my conclusion either. The whole "I want to leave you with 3 things" thing was stupid but I didn't know any other way to finish it off. 
  5. Delivery? I hate giving presentations and I am never ever good that them. The period before I presented, I was running through my note cards and practicing, and honestly I was very confident then. I could give my speech without reading off of the cards, and only glancing maybe once or twice per card. I practiced in from of my parents, my friends, my math teacher even, basically anyone who would listen, and I read enthusiastically, confident, and was almost funny. However when I got on the stage things just went bad. I was stuttering and reading straight from the cards, this time looking up once or twice per card when it should have been the opposite. I just get scared in front of people and I definitely need to work on that, I just hope this didn't hinder how passionate and how much fun I really had throughout the process. 
In total, I think my TED Talk deserved maybe a 26 or 27 out of 30. Though I really disliked my delivery, I was truly proud of the content, which is something I normally can't say about a presentation I'll give. Also the cheesecakes were a hit and that was something I was worried about prior to the project. 
Again, I wasn't proud of my public speaking skills, and I wasn't even up there to do something as brave as play an instrument or sing, but for me, just speaking was an accomplishment. Though it wasn't perfect, it wasn't horrible either, which is definitely a plus! 

No comments:

Post a Comment