Friday, March 1, 2013

Jenna fait la nourriture!

This week I traveled to France! (Well technically not yet because it's hell week so I haven't gotten home any earlier than 9pm every night, but by Saturday the 2nd I will have travelled to France!) Since my project is entirely desserts now I've decided to start simple, but in bulk. I've been doing a lot of research from big sites like foodnetwork.com to the tiny and hidden food blogs of the internet. A couple issues I've run into have been finding authentic recipes from parts of the world. Depending on the recipe that I'm looking for, it's either really difficult to find a recipe that isn't edited with someone else's 'secret ingredient,' or I run into 17 billion of the same exact recipe and that's pretty much all I'm going to get.

So, for my first dessert, I'm going to start with making crepes! The first time I had crepes was when my parents came back from france almost five years ago. They had had them at a restaurant there and wanted me to try them (since I was ten and still hadn't something as super simple as crepes). We made them with rasberries and blueberries and I loved them! So I asked my parents for some help remembering that recipe, and when I make these, I'll be basing the recipe off of this one:


Ingredients
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp white sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 tbsps melted butter

Directions
    1. Sift together flour, sugar and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs and milk together with an electric mixer. Beat in flour mixture until smooth; stir in melted butter.
    2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 2 tablespoons for each crepe. Tip and rotate pan to spread batter as thinly as possible. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

Of course this is going to be really simple, but I wouldn't want to have a horror story on my first dessert. I have a griddle that we always make pancakes on that I'm excited to use. For the inside and the toppings, my favorite fruits are definitely strawberries and bananas, I was hoping to have some fresh slices of those, some whipped cream, and for sure some Nutella! My family has loads of fruit so when i make these tomorrow we'll be experimenting. I'm going to make another blog post after I make them tomorrow night with pictures and how they went! I'm really excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment