Sunday, March 3, 2013

Crepe Nation

Famous last words: "I've decided to start simple... I'm making crepes!" French crepes are truly the opposite of simple and I have no idea where I got the idea that they were. My friend Priya was with me to help document the process (and taste test!) So all the photo credit goes to her. Here goes...


I laid out all the ingredients and equipment, (1 cup flour, 1 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 3 eggs, 2 cups milk, 2 tbsps melted butter, 1 griddle) and prepared myself to start crepe making! Once everything was properly mixed together and I had (what I thought would be) a good consistency of batter, I poured my first one on the griddle...  


And then that happened. So, it wasn't the prettiest of crepes, but I figured it had to be impossible to make the perfect crepe on the first try. Then came time to flip it. Which did not go as well as planned. "It takes practice," I had to keep telling myself. So I ended up switching spatulas because the other one was just not working. After another folded over mess I needed a new game plan. The website where I found the recipe had said to use either a griddle or a frying pan over the stove. I figured I would give the frying pan a shot. 


The pan I had was a great size, my new spatula fit perfectly, and I could tilt the batter in the pan and make a perfect circle. Everything was going great! Until it wouldn't come off. I had sprayed it, and used butter, there was absolutely no reason it should be sticking! Time for plan C. I grabbed a fat slice of butter an spread it in a circle back on the griddle, and poured the batter in the middle, and it was actually working. I made a bunch that were (almost) circular, a little bit browned, and looked (kind of) yummy (also a bit like potato latkes?). I pretty much figured they weren't going to get any better than this. 



When I had just enough batter left for about three or four more, I decided to try it without any butter on the griddle. I felt like the butter was making it shinny and really bubbly on the outside (which was freaking me out). Literally was the best decision of my life. They were suddenly thicker and prettier and did not look like potato pancakes anymore. I seriously wished I would have made them like that way before. 


I had finally finished off all the batter and I was ready to make them beautiful and delicious with strawberries, bananas, cool whip, and Nutella. Finally I had a finished product!


I decorated this thin one, and inside were only a few strawberries and bananas, This one was purely, for show, when the ones that tasted the best were stuffed and ate like tacos!


So I made crepes, the majority were pretty ugly, it took way longer than I expected, cleaning up almost took longer than actually making them, and I ate them totally wrong. But they tasted so good and I had a lot of fun! I had them for breakfast the next morning too. I would definitely do it again and I plan to. French Crepes were a great way to start my genius project!

3 comments:

  1. Your crepes look really good! I like how you documented the whole process, including the crepes that you messed up. For someone whose never made crepes before, they look pretty good! I was just wondering, what would happen if the food you made completely failed? Would you still docuement it and count it as the dessert for that week? I know if I were doing this project, that would happen to me at least a couple of times. I can't wait to see what you make next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact that you took so many pictures! It really helps understand the extent to which you messed up the crepes, but also how delicious they all look. I know the play's almost over :(( but hopefully that'll give you more opportunities to make more yummy food (and share it muaahaha). What are you going to make next?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stop you're making me hungryyyyyyy! And I know that I just told you this but from my stand point it looks like you added a tad too much butter but over all the crepes look delicious. It's also pretty cool how you presented your dilapidated crepes but it showed us as the viewer your progress. Remember that you'll be fine and that you need to save some of the food for yours truly!

    ReplyDelete